The Anima Redistribution Mechanism, alternatively known as ARMs, is a series of Soul Catalysts that passively gather and store ambient Anima before redistributing it in another form.
Anima Redistribution Mechanisms are a unique type of Soul Catalysts created to passively gather the Anima flowing throughout the atmosphere and store it within the ARM's form, whether it's a pendent or some other shape. [REDACTED], the company who created them in secret, has found that hexagonal or octagonal pendants are the best vessels for the ARMs. Within these watches are a gem that holds the gathered Anima within. The ARM's Anima reacts to its user, and it can be manipulated so that the ARM forms a suit of armor, a weapon, or any form the player can muster within the game's logistical limits. Despite each ARM having wildly different armor designs, they all share one thing in common: the spine of each armor generates an armored gauge that displays the amount of Anima currently stored in the ARM. This gauge will drain according to how much Anima is used while the ARM's armor is active: It will drain slowly if the armor is deployed and the user is simply moving around, but larger chunks of the gauge will drain if in active combat or defending against projectiles.
The ARMs are produced with individual "Series." Each ARM-Series is based on a single default ARM, followed by multiple Sub-ARMs tied specifically to that main Mechanism. These Sub-ARMs are less variable in their Anima Redistribution, usually relegated to melee weapons or Anima projectiles. The Main ARM is capable of generating an armor made of a skintight layer of concentrated Anima that protects against most calibers of firearm ammo. .50 Caliber or larger ammo will breach the armor, thus causing the Anima layer to dissipate and removing the armor completely. Then, the ARM will have to regenerate Anima on its own time, leaving the user without armor or that ARM's specific weaponry. When one ARM is active, the wielder cannot recharge it while in use. If the user wishes to continue using an ARM, they'll need to have a back-up ARM charging and on standby so that they can switch to the alternate ARM while having their primary ARM charge instead. The aforementioned Sub-ARMs are these back-ups. Though they cannot provide as strong an armor, they are better suited for fighting while the primary ARM is recharging.
Currently, there is no known method of speeding up the charging process outside of manually fueling the ARM with one's own Anima. So long as the user has the Anima and stamina to fully recharge it, they can refuel an ARM almost instantly with simple Anima Infusion. ARMs do have a limit to their storage, and overloading an ARM can result in a deadly Anima explosion that kills the player and surrounding objects and/or players depending on how overloaded the ARM is. Some ARMs are actually specifically designed for this purpose, acting as Anima grenades that are made of low-grade materials in order to do so. Certain weapons can be modified to accept ARMs, allowing the weapons to channel the specific ARM's inherent powers and abilities through the blade of a sword or the barrel of a firearm. This temporary channeling of ARMs through other weapons is usually a one-off ability that exhausts the remaining Anima stored within in exchange for a powerful attack. Once used, the ARM must recharge before it can generate armor or weapons.
Elemental attributes can be applied to ARMs when created, or by the user's will. Pre-applied elemental attributes (attributes applied when initially created) are generally stronger than what the user's will imposes, but the ARM will attempt to realize the user's desires and project it. However, if the elemental attribute is directly opposed to the pre-applied element (more on this later), the ARM will fail to produce this element or project this element very weakly, to the point where the redistributed Anima is essentially worthless in combat. Elemental effects are usually given by the user's influence, but pre-applied elements are usually done so as per the wielder's preference. However, most ARMs remain neutral with elemental powers in order to provide a wider range of combat potential for all users, as ARMs can be taken from others without repercussions.
While many elemental affinities can be applied to ARMs, the rarity of unique ARMs with elemental attributes reduces the amount of affinities down to a small number. They are as follows:
These elemental abilities can oppose or enhance one another depending on which elements are used. Fire can overpower Ice or Water, but it can also be extinguished by the same elements. Wind and Lightning can augment Fire, enhancing its destructive nature or prolonging its duration; while Wind can be obstructed by Earth or Crystals and Lightning can be insulated by the same element. Ice may augment Earth, but Water can erode it; Ice can also augment Crystal.
In the end, elemental affinities depend on the user, their creativity, and the strength of their Soul. If their Anima can sustain it, the user can overpower their opposing element or augment an ally's element to turn the tide of battle in their favor.
It should be noted that Void is not an acceptable ARM element, despite many attempts at synthesizing a Void-based ARM and most attempts resulting gruesome deaths and failure upon failure. The rare successes in synthesizing Void-based ARMs resulted in a flawed, imperfect form of Void which has been labelled "Dark-Forged" and possesses an innate strength far greater than other ARMs.
List of ARMs
Unique ARM Series
Codenamed "Damnation," this is the first of the ARM series' to be created. It has a powerful balance of melee and long-range combat options, and features a unique ability that can override other ARMs to make into its own Sub-ARMs. Used by [REDACTED].
- Dark Damnation - A blackened ARM created from a rare, unholy gem imbued with the power of the vilest demons. The armor generated from this ARM exudes a dark presence, and formed from Anima tainted by these demons' power. It can create a demonic Longsword with a twisted blade forged in the vilest depths of Hell's Wrath Province. Its ability to convert other ARMs into Sub-ARMs seemingly comes from a particularly greedy and influential Demon's essence imprinted in the ARM's gem.
- Enma's Bone - An ARM forged from bones found nearby Dark Damnation's gem. It has no elemental association, but it can generate a pair of sickles made from bone that channel Dark Damnation's unholy Anima with unnerving ease. Perhaps these bones are the remains of the one who forged Dark Damnation's gem...
- Asura's Arms - An ARM created from some unknown material that channels the immense hatred of a deceased Asura spirit. This hatred taints whatever Anima flows through it, creating a floating ring of additional arms that can attack independently or in tandem with its user's attacks.
- Hell-Down Overdrive - A direct upgrade of the Hazard Gear (see Miscellaneous, Upgrade-Type), now in the form of two gauntlets each with a single slot. By loading an ARM into each slot, then slamming the user's fists together, the Hell-Down Overdrive can upgrade up to two ARMs far beyond any previous Upgrade-Type ARM. It's designed specifically for demonic use only, and the sheer amount of willpower and Anima required to wield it results in only [REDACTED] actively using it.
A pair of ARMs created by [REDACTED] which can be used independently or together for a greater power.
- Demonic Kaiser - Owned and used by [REDACTED], this ARM is specifically tuned for Demonic powers. Using a demonic gem harvested from the crown of an obscure, ancient king found in an unknown ruin, the Demonic Kaiser wraps its User in a king-like armor generated from the lingering remnants of the king's soul. While more than capable of protecting its wearer, it offers not much else.
- Fallen Kaiser - Owned and used by [REDACTED], this ARM heavily emphasis Angelic power. Found in the same ruins as its counterpart, the gem embedded in this ARM belonged to one of the king's greatest warriors, augmented by the power of an Angel. This ARM generates that warrior's armor when used, offering incredible speed, durability, and strength but no additional armaments.
- Hell Bi-Kaiser - By combining the use of both Kaiser ARMs, the user merges the King's armor with the Warrior's power, transforming into a hellish combination of the both at the cost of sanity. The Angelic and Demonic influences from the individual Kaiser ARMs negates their ability to enhance one or the other, instead offering an incredible boost without either's influence. This will burn through Anima faster, and could very possibly destroy one's sanity as the king's final regrets and the warrior's unending fury mix together and attempt to overpower the user's own will.
This series, codenamed "Arsenal" is based around long-range combat, with only one sub-ARM capable of providing it with everything it may need.
- Amethyst Arsenal - Owned by [REDACTED]. This was crafted from a beautiful amethyst gem harvested from a supposed Rythel village's ruins. It was said to belong to the village's chief, and was an heirloom Soul Catalyst that each chief inherited. This gem contains the memories of each chief's combat encounters, imparting this knowledge on its user and allowing them to wield several different weapons. Though it cannot generate these weapons on its own, the user paired it with the Pandora's Box ARM to make up for this.
Pandora's Box is a Weapon-Type ARM that lacks an elemental attribute, but bolsters a variety of weapons within itself. Originally planned to hold 666 weapons, Pandora's Box only incorporates a mere 33 forms, including melee weapons and firearms.
- Pandora Armament 001 - Pandora transforms into a heavily-armored gauntlet equipped with an Anima Laser weapon. It fires a concentrated, sustained beam of pure Anima capable of piercing through thick metals.
- Pandora Armament 002 - This double-sided spear features Anima-reinforced points and blades for hacking, slashing, stabbing, and much more violent attack methods.
- Pandora Armament 003 - A large, three-bladed shuriken with Anima-coated blades that reinforce the cutting edges. When thrown, it will always return to the user no matter the distance, though the return time is proportional to the distance from weapon to user.
- Pandora Armament 004 - Pandora transforms into what is best described as an Anima shotgun. Four barrels, stacked in a 2x2 grid, holding powerful Anima-generated shells that focus on dispersing damage as far as possible. Once used, Pandora temporarily returns to its pendant form to gather more energy before reforming into any armament the user needs in the given moment.
- Pandora Armament 005 - A pentagonal shield with sharpened edges and a spiked point. A thin, concentrated Anima field on the shield's surface grants greater durability to the shield and better resistance to Anima attacks.
The fourth series of ARMs, codenamed Obsidian due to the Obsidian crystal used in the pendant's construction and in reference to the obsidian-like armor it generates.
- Clawed Obsidian - This ARM was created as one of two attempts to recreate the Dark Damnation using other gems. While this one succeeded in copying the first ARM's aesthetic and incredible power, it failed to recreate the ability to subjugate other ARMs. Don't be mistaken, this ARM is still powerful and capable of intense long-term combat, maybe physically stronger and more capable than Dark Damnation itself. When its armor is deployed, the hands are covered by sharp Anima claws capable of slicing through thick concrete without effort, hence its name "Clawed Obsidian."
- Twilight Raptor - This ARM is made from the bones of an ancient creature best described as resembling a Velociraptor. These bones were infused with moonlight and sunlight through some unknown process, and the ARM channels those powers through a hybrid of a Light attribute and minor Dark-Forged capabilities. Its weapons consist of a pair of clawed gauntlets, one infused with light and the other infused with shadow. If used in tandem with Clawed Obsidian, the latter's claws are simply augmented by Twilight Raptor's powers.
- Jupiter's Saw - An ARM with a powerful Lightning attribute coming from its the brilliant amber gem, gathered from a sacrificial altar dedicated to a lightning god. The many lives sacrificed to this gemstone imbued it with the soul of many powerful warriors, with prayers to this lightning god transforming these souls into incredibly powerful lightning. Its weapon is a longsword with a silver serrated edge and a gold, lightning-patterned hilt. If enhanced with enough lightning, it can act as a pseudo-High Frequency Blade, though only for a single strike. It can enhanced Clawed Obsidian with gilded, lightning-like armor which can discharge lightning-like Anima if desired.
- Vulcan's Axe - An ARM imbued with immense Fire power. Its power comes from a strange Cinnabar gem found in the same volcanic hot spot as the materials used to create Kagatsuchi's Rage. When the gem was made into an ARM, it generated a two-handed war-axe with a searing-hot axe blade and a slightly curved shaft and a spiked pommel. Not much else is known about this weapon, other than the fact that it seems to favor being wielded in tandem with Jupiter's Saw. The fire and lightning seem to intertwine when the two ARMs are wielded together, though these two seem to gravitate towards one another even outside of combat.
- Hybrid Buster - This Upgrade-type ARM was a prototype that was recently brought out of storage, only to be hijacked by [REDACTED] after raiding the facility it was stored in. It allows two ARMs to fully synchronize and produce an incredibly powerful ARM Hybrid Armor. Any two ARMs can be used, but ARMs that show immense compatibility create stronger ARM Hybrid Armors. These Hybrid Armors can fuse the elemental associations of its component ARMs into a stronger form, if desired. This will consume Anima at triple the rate of a normal ARM; the component ARMs' Anima reserves are drained quickly, and the fusion of their powers produces an even greater Anima consumption, forcing the user to monitor their use of the Hybrid Buster.
The fifth ARM series, prioritizing elemental effects, precision, and long-range combat. Codenamed "Cyan" due to the main ARM's color scheme.
- Cyan Frost - Owned by [REDACTED], this ARM was the first series to incorporate elemental attributes into a Main ARM. As a result, water vapor wafts off the suit and a cold mist surrounds it once deployed, thanks to its Ice attribute. It lacks its own weapon, but can enhance the User's weapons if they wield Soul Catalysts. The gem used in its construction comes from a set of ruins found in some cold, forlorn corner of Eden, and seemingly bears the will of an ancient warrior who wielded a weapon requiring incredible precision to make effective. This warrior's will imbued the gem with that same precision, augmenting whoever wields this ARM with that same power.
- Emerald Tempest - This ARM is lightning-attributed, made from a gem found in the ruins of an ancient society that seemingly worshiped light, the sun, and lightning. This gem emits a unique green lightning when Anima is passed through it, and can enhance the user's speed and long-range possibilities by discharging this green lightning as a projectile, though it doesn't do much for durability and strength.
- Orochi's Heads - A water/ice-attributed ARM taking the form of 8 throwing knives. The knives perpetually maintain themselves as a set of 8, always generating the set of 8 no matter how many are thrown away. It was made from a beautiful sapphire that washed ashore in an area. After researching the gem, it was determined that the sapphire was once part of a cult that worshiped the ocean, but was lost to the depths of the sea after the cult had a violent disbanding ceremony, to say the least.
- Lucifer's Buster - An ARM with a light attribute derived from the Lightning affinity, taking the form of a phantom arm mirroring the User's own arm. Another artifact of cult worship, the gem that was used to make this ARM was worshiped by a cult dedicated to a demon of light. No one knew the light demon's name, so it was simply codenamed "Lucifer" by the organization that makes ARMs. Rumor has it the gem was used to summon this Lucifer, but all it could manage was one of its arms; thus, its ability to summon a phantom arm.
- Apollo's Needles - A light-attributed ARM that generates a near-endless amount of relatively weak sword-like needles that can be repositioned according to the User's will. The materials gathered to produce this ARM were blessed by a priest who worships a light god, blessing this ARM with the ability to produce light-based weaponry. The ARM was later refined to generate its signature sword-like needles.
- Series 5, Cross Fusion - Series 05 was reforged into the Cross Fusion ARM set after facing catastrophic damage from [UNKNOWN]. The core of this ARM set is the Cross Harness, a gauntlet-type Soul Catalyst that harnesses, focuses, and unleashes the full power of two compatible ARMs to achieve its full potential. The user combines the two ARMs together into one Gestalt ARM before loading it onto the gauntlet's designated slot. The duality of the Gestalt ARM's components play off of one another to bring out immense power.
- Cross ARM 1: Hailstorm - This ARM is a water/ice-attributed versatile-weapon ARM, maintaining its predecessor's 8 throwing knives and elemental attribute. The knives are longer and have an aura of frost around each of them. When paired with Thunder Storm, Burst's user can access the Storm Breaker form.
- Cross ARM 2: Thunder Storm - Forged from [REDACTED], this ARM retains its predecessor's Lightning elemental attribute with a new weapon: a single-bladed battle axe with runes carved into its blade that can fly back to the wielder's hand should it knocked away by any chance. As previously mentioned, this pairs with Hailstorm to form Storm Breaker.
- Cross ARM 3: Solar Eclipse - An ARM forged from [TWO UNKNOWNS], it retains their light attribute and provides half of the Equinox form, generating arm blades over the user's arm as its weapon.
- Cross ARM 4: Lunar Eclipse - Another new ARM featuring a very weak variant of the Dark-Forged attribute entitled Shadow, this ARM generates the other half of the Equinox form. It can generate a whip of Dark Anima in a form resembling shadows as its weapons.
The sixth ARM Series, created as an alternative to the first set. It features an emphasis on elemental and a balance of melee and long-range combat, boasting high compatibility with other ARMs outside of its set instead of the ARM hijacking featured in the first set. Codenamed "Crimson" due to its primary ARM's color scheme.
- Crimson Breaker - Owned by [REDACTED], this ARM is forged from the remnants of a deceased warrior's sword. A dark red ruby surrounded by fragments of a broken sword blade are fitted into the Crimson Breaker's pendant. This ARM was the second of two attempts at recreating the Dark Damnation via other means. This ARM also failed to recreate the ability to subjugate other ARMs, instead producing a flawed variation of this ability that allows it to synchronize with additional ARMs instead of completely dominating them. Perhaps the sword fragments have something to do with this. The fragments were partially linked to an ancient tale about a warrior who fought mighty enemies and, after proving himself worthy, would have the enemies relinquish their weapons to him.
- Azure Slasher - The alternative to Crimson Breaker, forged from the guard of a fallen warrior's katana. This warrior was said to be a rival to the wielder of Crimson Breaker's fragments, wielding a Katana that had similar subjugating properties to Dark Damnation, but not as potent. A Lapis gem is embedded in the guard, which forms the pendant of the ARM; the warrior's spirit seems to resonate best with the Lapis, and allows its wielder to unleash precise, powerful sword strikes thanks to this. It also seems to have an affinity for ice, but the ARM was created to better focus on the swordsman aspect.
- Kagatsuchi's Rage - A fire-attributed ARM taking the form of a burning katana. The materials that were forged into this ARM were taken from a volcanic hot spot, infused with the hottest flames within that area. When active, the raging magma that was imbued into this ARM solidifies into a katana of magma and obsidian, wielding incredible cutting power and immense heat in addition to quick, precise movements.
- Fujin's Sluggers - A wind/lightning-attributed ARM consisting of a pair of curved daggers. Originally, it was a legendary weapon, a pair of curved daggers known to always return to its user when thrown and their ability to conduct lightning through itself given the right conditions. When it was found again, it had been sealed within a small wooden box that was harvested for the materials that created this ARM.
- Sarutahiko's Club - An earth/crystal-attributed club-like ARM. Another legendary weapon, famous for its ability to crystallize Anima along its surface and for being nigh-unbreakable, both due to its former user's Anima enhancements. One day, the club's user fell in battle, and the Anima enhancements it carried died with the warrior, transforming this club into a pile of wood scrap. This scrap was found, and transformed into an ARM that retained all of the characteristics of its prior self.
- Series 6, Version 2 - After [REDACTED] occurred, Series 06 was personally reforged by its user to better fit his personal fighting style after learning the secrets to constructing ARMs from [UNKNOWN]. In its previous iteration, Series 06 had two base armors with three sub-armors for each one, creating a total of 8 possible armor configurations. With the Cross Upgrade, the set defaults to one upgraded base armor with four additional sub-armors, reducing the number of possible configurations to 5 while also increasing the power and efficiency of Anima consumption.
- Transformation ARM: Crimson Rave - Upgraded from [TBA], this ARM is simply an updated version of its previous iteration, factoring in the user's personal aesthetic into something more streamlined and better suited to their fighting style. It lacks weapons of its own, as the user's own weapons are sufficient enough.
- Weapon ARM 1: Wildfire - Replacing [TBA], this ARM is [REDACTED]'s go-to, a fire-attributed katana bearing the intense heat of several volcanoes compressed into its blade.
- Weapon ARM 2: Blizzard - An ARM new to its user's arsenal, providing an ice-attributed Naginata crafted from the remnants of [TBA], with a blade of unyielding, lethal cold.
- Weapon ARM 3: Thunderstorm - Standing in for [TBA], this ARM maintains its predecessor's wind/lightning affinity and curved dagger weapons.
- Weapon ARM 4: Earthquake - As a substitute for [TBA], this earth/crystal-based Kanabo club is just like its past iteration, with the addition of its personal armor attachments.
Weapon-Type ARMs are created specifically to generate a weapon rather than generating any Anima construct the user desires. Since the weapon form is prioritized, the Anima-generated weapon is much more durable and in tune with Anima than a weapon offered by any other ARM type. Elemental affinities are applied to Weapon-Type ARMs to enhance combat potential and provide an additional edge.
- Surtur's Twilight - A fire-attributed Weapon-Type ARM that provides the user with a greatsword of fire.
- Agni's Brimstone - A fire-attributed ARM in the form of a series of sharpened knives made of brimstone, as its name suggests.
- Poseidon's Trident - A water-attributed ARM taking the form of a trident.
- Susano-O's Arrows - A water-attributed ARM taking the form of a bow and arrow
- Izanagi's Spear - A lightning-attributed ARM in the form of a Naginata.
- Apostle's Cyclone - A light-attributed ARM which takes the form of a pair of large, three-pronged shuriken that can generate hard-light copies in combat.
- Hades' Bident - An earth-attributed ARM appearing as a two-pronged spear.
- Gaea's Limbs - An earth ARM coming in the form of armored gauntlets and greaves.
- Hangyaku - A Dark-Forged greatsword that can split into multiple swords as necessary.
- Fuwa - A Dark-Forged ARM taking the form of a Katana which can generate spectral clones of itself to pierce its enemies.
- Abraxas' Antiques - A Dark-Forged two-handed battle-axe which can cause tremors with its power
Upgrade-Type ARMs are designed to augment an already-existing ARM, allowing an ARM user to enhance their current ARMs. Upgrades depend on the user's imagination and the Anima supply, the latter of which has been significantly enhanced. Elemental affinities are optionally, and are generally left alone since Upgrade-Types are meant to be flexible upgrades without any specific attributes.
- Striker Series The Striker-series Upgrade ARMs take the form of a parabolic gauntlet with a slot for any standard ARM to be inserted into. They consist of three specific units:
- Paradiso Striker - This Striker unit is specifically tuned for Angelic users, allowing Angels and Angel Hybrids to use it to its fullest potential. The Anima gathered is converted into light-attributed Anima before being redistributed. Users can augment their attacks with this Anima, or use it to upgrade their armor to a more powerful form.
- Purgatorio Striker - This Striker unit is the most balanced unit, harnessing neutrally-attributed Anima to augment weapons, attacks, and armor. Human and Hybrid users would be the most suitable to wield this ARM.
- Inferno Striker - This Striker unit is designed for Demonic users, resulting in Demons and Demonic hybrids being the most compatible with this ARM. Anima gathered by this Striker is dark-attributed, and can be applied in the same manner as the previous three Strikers.
- Independent Upgrades:
- Hazard Gear - Unlike previous ARMs, this takes the form of a belt buckle with an Anima-generated strap holding it in place around the user's waist. One must slide the ARM they wish to upgrade into the slot in the center of the belt, allowing the Hazard Gear to supercharge it to its limits and beyond.
Mass Production ARMs are produced with the bare necessities. Their materials are mediocre at best, and they have all the necessary safety restrains. They possess relative weak power in comparison to more unique ARMs, but they can be created in large quantities in one given batch. Mass Production ARMs can also take multiple forms, from the pocket watch style featured in Unique ARMs, but they can be made to be necklaces, pendants, or a simple gem with metallic casing around it in the case of the Grenades.
- Grenade - The aforementioned Anima Grenade, made of low-grade materials so that they can be mass-produced and modeled after grenades in design.
- Firearm - Similar to the above ARM, Firearm ARMs are designed specifically for the sake of forming various Anima-based guns for a small, elite military force or bounty hunters capable of affording such equipment.
- Melee - Similar in function to a Firearm ARM, though it's designed for melee weaponry rather than producing a ranged arsenal.
- The armors generated by ARMs form in a similar manner to the Panther Habit suits featured in the movie Black Panther.
- Surtur's Twilight is named for the Fire Giant of Norse Mythology and the sword he wields.
- Orochi's Heads come from myth of Yamata no Orochi.
- Fujin's Kama is named after the Japanese Wind God. Sarutahiko's Buster is the same, named for the Japanese Earth God.
- Hangyaku (叛逆) means "rebellion," a reference to Rebellion from the Devil May Cry series.
- Fuwa (不和) means "discord," and is meant to reference Yamato from the Devil May Cry series.
- The Striker Upgrade-Type ARMs are named after the three stages of the afterlife and the chapters of the Divine Comedy: Paradiso translating to Heaven/Paradise, Purgatorio being Purgatory, and Inferno representing Hell.